> What happens when you try to send a message from the iSeries?
>  Does it get rejected?  Is it poorly formatted?

I get this back (I changed the phone number to all x's):

<what I get back>

NOT ABLE TO DELIVER MAIL TO SOME/ALL RECIPIENTS.
REPLY CODES WITH FIRST DIGIT = '4' OR '5' ARE ERROR REPLIES.
ERRORS THAT DO NOT HAVE ERROR REPLY CODES MAY EXIST.

HOST AS400 NOT ABLE TO DELIVER MAIL TO FOLLOWING RECIPIENT(S):
   <xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxx>
RETRIES EXHAUSTED WHILE ATTEMPTING TO CONNECT TO REMOTE HOST CWEMAIL.

             ** TEXT OF MAIL FOLLOWS **