There is value in the ability to dial in to the 400.  When you depend on the
internet, you are depending on the ISP and his backbone services.  Depending
on the ISP, you could be going through several smaller services with limited
or no redundancy for their services, so, if any of those points fail, you
would not have access.  If you have the dial in access, you are only
dependent on the phone services.  the phone services tend to be more stable
than some ISP's.

To dial in, you can use several different methods.  It depends on your
network architecture.  It can be anything from ppp connections to the 400
itself, RAS servers on other machines, to a dial in to the Cisco router
itself.  You can not dial in to a Cisco Pix.

I work via the internet (Client Access SSL) extensively.  I work probably 50
hours per week using this connectivity.  We have both a RAS server setup on
a Win2K machine as well as a ppp connection on the 400.  I use both in the
event of internet failure.

As far as security.....  I believe that the SSL encryption is secure enough
for our applications.  A dial in line is definitely mo0re secure, but it
will get quite expensive per connection as you add more connections to the
network.

Hope this helps..

Mike Silvers