Primary because of (to quote you), the "mixing HTML with Java".  It
complicates the maintenance and readability of the Java code. I am by no
means an MVC "purist", but as a relative newcomer to Java and HTML (only
about 18 months) I find the "mixing" more confusing than helpful.  I use
Freemarker as a templating tool (it is excellent and can be found at
freemarker.org) with Java servlets primarily because as an "old school" RPG
programmer it closely mimics the Screen DDS / RPG model I am familiar with.
I create a screen with "markers" where the data goes (like SDA) .  I create
a program the processes the screen and retrieves the data from the DB (like
writing RPG). I run the program.  Simple.  It is just a familiar paradigm
for me.  Better yet, since my HTML forms look uncannily like 5250 screens
(read: UGLY), I can take my prototype HTML give it to someone who actually
knows what they are doing with HTML and they return the HTML page back
looking "pretty".  They leave the field markers in place and Voila! I have a
nice looking HTML app.

I guess it is a preference...like avoiding RPG IV because I haven't taken
the time to learn it well enough to use it daily (yet!).  But from what I
hear about "traditional" JSP's, they are quietly taking a back seat to other
technologies anyway.

Pete Helgren
Value Added Software,Inc.
801.581.1154