Hi Charles,

> We've run into a situation where we may need to modify a substantial number
> of TL Ashford label formats.  Specifically, we need to change from one
> printer type to another or change the size of a horizontal line.
[SNIP]
> I'm hoping somebody out there has figured out a way to do this in batch.

I've done "mass changes" like this by writing an RPG program that directly
changes the data in TL Ashford's files.  Of course, just because it's
worked for me does not mean that it'd work for you.   It's definitely
not a method supported by TL Ashford. :)

Here's how I go about it:

a) Make a backup of the TLABARCODE library (or whatever you call the
library) This is a very important step, in case something goes wrong.

b) Take a look at the BCFMTS file in TLABARCODE.  It contains most of the
label data.  The record layout consists of a "key" and a "data" section.
The key is made up of a record type code followed by the 8-character
label format name, followed sometimes by a 2-digit sequence number.  The
data is different depending on the record type.

c) Create a "test" label and experiment with the values that you want to
change.  See which positions of the various record types for your label
format are being changed and what they're changing to.

d) Create an RPG (or COBOL or C, etc) program that runs through the BCFMTS
file and changes all of the labels that you want to change.

e) Make sure you test that your changes worked properly...   if they
didn't, you can always restore the backup.

Good Luck!