If you want an in-expensive package check out http://www.taxrates.com/as400.htm

A lot cheaper than the others suggested. Not sure what you mean by "fit inside another package", but I would also suggest using a package. You would have to hire somebody to do monthly checks with each state to make sure they have not changed their sales tax. And then on occasion some state will make change that your system/files does not handle, so you have to re-code things. Having a Sales Tax package, they handle all these things.

I am familiar with Taxware. In it the levels/authories of taxing were Federal, State, County, Local1, and Local2. There was nothing for airport. There was no code for these in the DB. Basically each one was a field with an rate. Other files determined if the rate should be applied or not. It can get deep rather quickly.

--- Scott

date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 17:29:17 -0500
from: "Jim Franz" subject: standard tax authority codes

Expanding a database to handle multiple tax authorities,
like city, state, county, airport, federal, "other". Is there a standard
code or id for taxing authorities? Any kind of national listing?
Using a tax package has been ruled out (this has to fit inside another package). Customers spread over US. This is parts, labor, and fuels.
tia
jim