Thanks Scott.

My terminology was off quite a bit with the earlier post.  After I read it
again it was painfully obvious I got in a hurry.  Would the term subcommand
be a better choice for the quote keyword?

Yes, this machine is behind a firewall.  We connect through a vpn and it is
very possible that is the culprit here.  I'm not familiar with the network
setup between these two specific machines.

Here's the script I'm using for this test:
quote syst
quote time 500

Output from ftp run remotely:
257 "QGPL" is current library.
Enter an FTP subcommand.
> quote syst
215  OS/400 is the remote operating system. The TCP/IP version is "V5R2M0".
Enter an FTP subcommand.
> quote time 500
500 Syntax error, command unrecognized: 'time 500'

Output from ftp run locally (loopback?  127.0.0.1):
  257 "QGPL" is current library.
> quote syst
  215  OS/400 is the remote operating system. The TCP/IP version is
"V5R2M0".
> quote time 500
  250 Inactivity time-out set to 500 seconds.

Thanks,
Bruce

"Scott Klement" <klemscot@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message news:20040304171309.J63367@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx