OK, I answered my own suggestion. Deselecting CL Commands under the FTP Server part of Application Admin is honored by the 400, it does not matter whether your FTP client is on a PC, another 400, or even the same one (ftp loopback). The message is "500 Request rejected" (forget the exact number, but greater than or equal to 500).

The fact that the original poster's return message was "500 Syntax error, command unrecognized: 'rcmd" suggests that the 400 is not returning this message, since it will recognize the command but reject it in the scenario given above. Scott K.'s post is pertinent here, I think.

Hmm!
Vern