Hi Rick

I've been through a few similar scenarios too :)

To get the authority you want on the file (i.e. *RWX) the owner of the directory the file will be placed in has to have the same authority mask to the directory. So, first of all, check that the owner of the directory has *RWX to the directory the files are being written to.

As I understand it, all objects placed in an IFS directory "inherit" the same authority to the object that the owner of the directory has to the directory. The creator of an object does not automatically obtain all rights to a file just via ownership, but must instead have explicit rights to the object. This can lead to counter-intuitive (from an OS/400 point of view) situations when the owner of an object can't do things to the object he/she created because the owner of the directory where the object was created does not have the right authority mask to the directory.

Your release and version level is important here as I recall reading that IBM changed the behaviour somewhat for V5R2 to make it more consistent.

Hope this helps - good luck with your issue :)

Regards
Evan Harris

CPFA09C is exactly the error message!
But alas...PGP on all objects = *none.

The plot sickens.

Basically, how do you ensure that a file gets *RWX authority on it when it
is created in the IFS?