On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Pat Barber wrote:

> Let's just talk "local" for the moment.
> (remote is another story)
>
> Twinax has it's own processor at the "other end"..
> Ethernet does not....the user manages everything.

Perhaps I misunderstand what you mean by "it's own processor", but
ethernet certainly does have a processor.  That's what your ethernet
driver does:  works with the ethernet processor on the ethernet card.  The
ethernet card doesn't hand the CPU the voltages as it received them on the
wires, it processes them first.

Most twinax devices have the 5250 protocol in the firmware/hardware.
Network printers (i.e. those that attach directly to the network, not a
PC) also have the network protocols they understand directly in firmware.
General purpose computers have the network protocols in varying degrees in
software.  In no case does the user manage everything.  People can't
think/type/read/add that fast.

James Rich