Hubs purpose is to regenerate and re-times network signals and cannot make
any decisions. Also a hub is one giant collision domain. A switch is a
Layer 2 device  and make their decision based on MAC address and Hubs do
not.  A Switch will send the data to the correct port that the host is
connected to. A Hub sends it to every port. You are starting to see Layer
3 switches coming into play that allow decisions based on a network
address.

HTH

Bruce 'Hoss' Collins
CTO
VeriQik
256 Honeysuckle Road
Suite 8
Dothan, AL 36305
(334) 836-1100
101001110.1101000100.10001001100

Pat Barber <mboceanside@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
02/09/04 06:27 PM
Please respond to Midrange Systems Technical Discussion