John Earl asked:

>Do PTF's sometimes require the use of the QSECOFR profile, or can this
>function be stricken from my list?

I think you should remove both installing products and installing PTFs from
your list of things that must be done by a user profile named QSECOFR.

It is my understanding that neither product installation nor PTF
application tools actually require the user to be signed on as QSECOFR. It
is possible that an install exit program or a PTF exit program could have a
specific check for QSECOFR but that would be an error.

My understanding is that the directions for installing a cumulative PTF
package say the person doing the install should sign on as QSECOFR. My
understanding is also that any user profile that has the same level of
authority as QSECOFR will be able to do the install. My guess is that the
directions require QSECOFR because it is easier to give directions using
the name of known user profile than it is to describe how to determine the
profile to use. It is probably best to use simple directions for the high
stress process of applying PTFs.

Ed Fishel,
edfishel@xxxxxxxxxx