Try this:

/*-------------------------------------------------------------------*/
/* Program:        CHKIFSOBJC (CPP program for CHKIFSOBJ command)    */
/*                 file system - written by David Leland.            */
/*                 Provided by Club Tech Programming Tips Newsletter */
/*                 (from NEWS/400 Magazine Issue 22 July 5, 2000)    */
/*-------------------------------------------------------------------*/
              PGM        PARM(&PARM)

              DCL        VAR(&PARM)      TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(256)
              DCL        VAR(&RTNVALINT) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(4)
              DCL        VAR(&RTNVAL)    TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(2)
              DCL        VAR(&PATH)      TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(100)
              DCL        VAR(&BUF)       TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(4096)

              CHGVAR     VAR(&PATH) VALUE(&PARM *TCAT &NULL)

              CALLPRC    PRC('stat') PARM(&PATH &BUF) +
                           RTNVAL(%BIN(&RTNVALINT 1 4))

              CHGVAR     VAR(&RTNVAL) VALUE(%BIN(&RTNVALINT))

              IF         COND(&RTNVAL *NE '00') THEN(SNDPGMMSG +
                           MSGID(CPF9897) MSGF(QCPFMSG) +
                           MSGDTA('Object ' || &PARM |< ' not +
                           found.') MSGTYPE(*ESCAPE))

/* Command:        CHKIFSOBJ                                         */
/* Command PP:     CHKIFSOBJC                                        */
/*                 (from NEWS/400 Magazine Issue 22 July 5, 2000)    */
              CMD        PROMPT('Validate an IFS Object')

              PARM       KWD(OBJECT) TYPE(*PNAME) LEN(256) MIN(1) +
                         EXPR(*YES) PROMPT('IFS object')
              ENDPGM