There was a football game today? With an IBM ad? I saw nothing but the
Food Network and a Star Trek DVD all day. Then again, to me, today
wasn't "Super Bowl Sunday"; rather, it was February 1st, and Epiphany
IV, and the first anniversary of the Columbia Disaster.

No, you didn't see any AS/400 ads during the Super Bowl. Why should that
surprise anybody? Neither did you see (unless you changed the channel to
CNN at the times specified in a recent mass-emailing from MoveOn.org),
any ads criticizing the President's economic policies.

Actually, the only thing that DOES surprise me, given CBS's stated
refusal to run "controversial" ads (defined as any ads that offend CBS's
management, vendors or advertisers, or hurt its chances to have
favorable legislation passed), is that a Linux ad got in. This isn't
exactly the same world, politically or economically, as the one of
twenty years ago, wherein Apple introduced the Macintosh with an Olympic
athlete literally shattering an Orwellian vision, in an ad that ran
exactly once, on the 1984 Super Bowl.

--
James H. H. Lampert
Professional Dilettante