They actually call it "Virtual Ethernet LAN" I think, because there is no NIC,
switch, router, cable, etc.  So I guess it's different then a VLAN which just
means a different IP range.

We have one (IXS) we were testing for server consolidation, but now I'm a
little weary about having to take down pc servers to IPL my iseries.  Also
there are lots of warnings about data loss if Iseries is IPL'd without the IXS
being totally down first.  Also the IXS backup seemed a little less than
straight forward.

We are still testing, however.

David Boling
Rowan County Information Systems