Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

"DeLong, Eric" <EDeLong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
01/30/2004 10:50 AM
Please respond to

"'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Fax to

Subject
RE: Scanning the iSeries (IFS) for Viruses

Vern,  what about IXS servers in the iSeries?  Do those devices make use
of
the VLAN in the iSeries for high-bandwidth access?  I REALLY know nothing
of
the new PC cards.

Eric DeLong
Sally Beauty Company
MIS-Project Manager (BSG)
940-898-7863 or ext. 1863

-----Original Message-----
From: Vern Hamberg [mailto:vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2004 8:32 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Scanning the iSeries (IFS) for Viruses

Can't speak for Tom, but scanning a machine, whether Windows or iSeries,
is
inherently slow because of communications. Everything has to be
transferred
to the PC in such a case. So native will be faster, unless the integrated
solution works.

Same lag occurs when trying to zip something on the 400 from a PC. Faster
to download the thing, then zip it. Unfortunately, in my experience, jar
and gzip (available free from IBM) are slower native on iSeries than, say
WinZip, on a PC.

MHO
Vern