Joel, the one I know some of is WinSpool/400 and its companion products. Very nice system of products for monitoring AS/400 output queues, then doing any of a number of things automatically, including conversion to multiple PC-file options, including PDF, Excel, etc., as well as various distribution options.

As I remember, the license is corporate, not based on seats.

Printing is done, if at all, through Windows printers - it converts to documents, so converting to PCL or PS is handled by the Windows drivers.

It has Windows-based tools for converting the layout of a spooled file report into all manner of things.

It can, on the 400, burst reports according a value in a fixed position on the page - no program changes needed. It does not, IIRC, use codes in the programs, most conversion and reformatting is done on the PC, similarly to Monarch.

As far as everything on the 400, I'm not sure - you'd need to talk to them - the stuff of theirs that I used would bring reports to the PC and process there. But their product line is pretty big.

You might look into IBM's InfoPrint Designer, as well.

HTH
Vern