How's this?

 If you're going to suck data out of a database only to format
 it into reports so that you can save them as *FILES* on disk
 catalogued in another database you may as well have fun doing it.

Our COLD storage requirements increased dramatically when stored reports
were rewritten from Unix text output or AS/400 spool files to PDF's.  Same
extracted data -- lots more extraneous crap archived with every file.  Yes,
report files are compressed in COLD.  That the reports take up less space on
the COLD server than they did on the host is not really the issue, for me.
How much space would they take up as rows in the original tables?

My point has been that COLD systems have a specific purpose.  Many folks are
just looking to hang onto invoices or month end reports for reference -- not
as digitally stamped copies for an audit.  Some folks use COLD to archive
things that don't require COLD's standards or controls.  If you recall this
thread started with:

>During an upgrade last night, some of the
>spool files on a V5R2 system ( I
>believe, including the outq's ) were lost.

...and became a discussion about how to back up spool files.  If you've got
business-critical reports on your system you should consider other
techniques for saving reports or preserving the source data before dumping a
boatload of spool files into COLD.

-Jim