I know that they do have such a list for other purposes - they keep track
of serial numbers of all parts to make sure that BPs, schools, etc who get
the deep discounts don't overload the boxes they buy and sell the extra
parts on the used market for profit.

I don't know how effective it is, but it's there.

Reminds me of a story I heard about one of the 'super-business-partners' in
the 90's.   one of their BPs did just such a thing - over-ordered a
development box at a deep discount, and sold the extra stuff on the used
market.  the SBP got wind of it, and to keep from getting in trouble with
IBM, devised a scheme to get the stuff back.

They 'hinted' (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) that IBM had caught wind of the
scam (they hadn't yet), and that they (IBM) would be coming by on
suchandsuch a day to inspect the box, and that they had better make sure
that all they had ordered was still there.  The BP frantically re-bought
all the parts (without regard to serial #s) and replaced them in the box.
on the day IBM was to show up, a sheriff showed up instead with a warrant,
a truck and a pair of bolt cutters.

man, that had to hurt ;)

Rick