Should have searched for 2.25 hours instead of 2.  :-)

Found the answer buried under Configure Central Systkm for Server
Authentication in
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/v5r2/ic2924/index.htm?info/rzain/rzainscenarios.htm

with the trick being the MGTC server must be endd when you first check
Management Central Properties to find the Security Tab to set SSL, before
setting the Properties for the system (in Primary Environment) to use SSL
on the Secure Sockets tab.
Then I had to end and restart TCP (tried just ending and restarting the
MGTC server but that didn't seem to cut it).
(All this was on my V5R2 system)

...Neil

Neil Palmer <neilp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
2004/01/24 20:35

cc

Subject
Management Central SSL port 5566

Management Central used port 5555, and 5566 for SSL, according to the
document at
http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/slkbase.nsf/1ac66549a21402188625680b0002037e/acc12fda96496e4b8625668f007ab75f

When I check with NETSTAT *CNN I see something listening on port 5555, but

not 5566:
                       Work with TCP/IP Connection Status
                                                             System:
 Type options, press Enter.
   3=Enable debug   4=End   5=Display details   6=Disable debug
   8=Display jobs

      Remote           Remote  Local
 Opt  Address           Port    Port  Idle Time  State
      *                     *    448  000:38:17  Listen
      *                     *    449  000:03:39  Listen
      *                     *    992  000:03:35  Listen
      *                     *   5039  000:37:51  *UDP
      *                     *   5544  000:38:02  Listen
      *                     *   5555  000:38:07  Listen
      *                     *   8470  000:38:16  Listen

I see something listening on all the other SSL ports (449, 992, 9470-9476)

- but nothing for the Management Central SSL port.  I have searched for
about 2 hours now but can find nothing explaining how to start the SSL
port for MGTC.  Yes, it is listed in WRKSRVTBLE:
                        Work with Service Table Entries
                                                             System:
 Type options, press Enter.
   1=Add   4=Remove   5=Display

 Opt  Service                                  Port  Protocol

      as-mgtctrl                               5555  tcp
      as-mgtctrl-cs                            5577  tcp
      as-mgtctrl-ss                            5566  tcp
      as-mgtctrlj                              5544  tcp

Anyone have any ideas why I can't get anything listening on port 5566 ?

Note that I have the same problem on a system at V4R5M0 with cumulative
PTF level C2169450 and a system at V5R2M0 with cumulative PTF level
C3364520.

...Neil