The short answer here is that I don't have enough info at the time to
"report in" although when I have a more functional prototype I can share
here, I'll actually point back to the tn5250j site at Sourceforge where I'll
post the code.  Scott Klement, who responded earlier, actually brought me
full circle: I had started at tn5250j, wandered over to the OS-OHIO site,
built a shell prototype of a 5250 HTML servlet, needed more information on
using and formatting 5250 data and then James and Booth's
knowledgeable-looking posts about 5250 data sparked the thought that they
may have an easier to understand set of documentation for 5250.  So around
and around we go.  For the list's benefit, I am working on the perhaps
Quixotic idea that a 5250 emulator can be built using HTML. NOT like WSG
(which was both ugly and slow) and not screen scraping, just a good, basic,
no bells and whistles 5250 emulator.  The reason: iSeries access is
bloatware at its best (or worst), Mochasoft TN5250 is excellent and cheap
but can't be easily integrated into the HTML and java apps we are working
with, tn5250j is an excellent, open source TN5250 java applet/application
but using a heavy, client-side JVM gives me the "support willies" so rolling
my own for HTML was the option I arrived at.  The lack of open source,
"pure" HTML-based Telnet clients (plenty of applets) tells me that this is
probably a fools errand but, that hasn't stopped me in the past.

The quick impression of OS-OHIO is:  If *I* can write a 5250 servlet
prototype in just a few hours, it must be easy.  Completing the project will
be the true test of it's usefulness though.

Pete Helgren