Jeff,

We quiesce the libraries one group at a time.  Remember that we are
running multiple divisions.  Once quiesced, using a regular save to tape
(not save while active), only shuts down that group for about 4 minutes on
our 3590.  Yes, when you look at the total time of our DB2 backup, it may
stretch a few hours, but each division is only locked out for a few
minutes.  Personally I don't think the save to a *SAVF would be that much
faster than the 3590.  Again, you'd be spending how much on disk to reduce
4 minutes to what?

"All creatures will make merry... under pain of death."
-Ming the Merciless (Flash Gordon)

"Jeff Crosby" <jlcrosby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
01/15/2004 10:19 AM
Please respond to

"'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Fax to

Subject
Backup performance

This talk about backing up \QNTC\ directories leads me to ask a question
I've been thinking about.

To reduce the backup window on the iSeries, is there anyone out there who
is
backing up to disk (*SAVF) and, when the system is brought back from a
restricted state, then transferring the *SAVF files to tape?

I was curious as to whether something like this reduces the backup window
as
far as restricted state is concerned.  And I know what tape drive is used
makes a big difference.  Plus backing up to a *SAVF is a '1 library at a
time' thing.

--
Jeff Crosby
Dilgard Frozen Foods, Inc.