From:   midrange-l-bounces+rick.chevalier=americredit.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces+rick.chevalier=americredit.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx]  On
Behalf Of G Armour
Sent:   Monday, January 12, 2004 9:49 AM
To:     midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:        Actual line spacing on 400-attached HP LJ 4050 is not exact

I was given a pre-printed W-2 form on normal 8.5x11 that requires output
from the 400 to be 8 lines per inch.  My spacing ruler confirms that the
form is spaced correctly.  The output lines near the top of the form fit
neatly in the boxes, but from there it starts to drift so that by the time
you get to the bottom of the form, the output lines are printing on box
borders.  The printer is an HP LaserJet 4050.  The customer that will be
printing these has the same printer.

When I print these on an IBM1130, it prints exactly 8LPI, but it does not
start squarely in the box.

Trying to see if the HP was at fault, I created a new Word document, using
Times New Roman font, 8pt and, under Format, Paragraph, Line Spacing, I
specified Exactly 0.125" (have to type in 0.125") and typed in line
numbers in the document:

1
2
3
4
... (all the way to 70)

Assuming you're in the "page layout view", you can see the ruler legend on
the left side of the screen, and in my case, it shows a true 8 LPI.  But
the proof is in the printing, so I printed it on the HP, and it lines up
perfectly.

So, I think the question that remains is...  Does the 400 manipulate
physical printer line spacing?  FWIW, we're at v5r2 and here is some
pertinent stuff from the device description:

Device class . . . . . . . . . . . :   *LAN
Device type  . . . . . . . . . . . :   3812
Device model . . . . . . . . . . . :   1
LAN attachment . . . . . . . . . . :   *LEXLINK
Adapter type . . . . . . . . . . . :   *EXTERNAL
Adapter connection type  . . . . . :   *PARALLEL
Physical attachment  . . . . . . . :   *DIRECT
Font:
  Identifier . . . . . . . . . . . :   11
  Point size . . . . . . . . . . . :   *NONE
Form feed  . . . . . . . . . . . . :   *AUTOCUT
Host print transform . . . . . . . :   *YES
Manufacturer type and model  . . . :   *WSCST
ASCII code page 899 support  . . . :   *NO
Image configuration  . . . . . . . :   *NONE
Character identifier . . . . . . . :   *SYSVAL
Workstation customizing object . . :   HP4_132
  Library  . . . . . . . . . . . . :     JM
User-defined object  . . . . . . . :   *NONE
  Object type  . . . . . . . . . . :     *NONE
Data transform program . . . . . . :   *NONE
User-defined driver program  . . . :   *NONE

The workstation customizing object is used to help make 132-wide landscape
reports print with a better font.  But, for the purpose of testing, I
changed the description to not use the workstation customizing object, but
it made no difference.

Where should I go from here?  Is there anyone else out there using an HP
LJ 4050 that can print an 8LPI in portrait, and verify an exact 8LPI with
a forms ruler?

TIA, GA