"Wayne McAlpine" <wmcalpine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
in message news:btn5jk$dl6$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Steve,
>
> Since you already have a 170, why not use it as your HTTP server.  Use
> DDM files on the 170 that point back to your production unit.  You'll
> need two NIC's on the 170, one to go to your firewall and one for the
> internal network.  We used this scheme successfully for over two years
> until our little Model 4SS couldn't handle the traffic.  It isolates
> your production box from the internet and still allows you to use your
> familiar AS/400 tools for application development.

Wayne -

This was my initial thought on how it should be done. However, since the 170
would live in the DMZ, we would have to direct both internal and external
users to that box.  My company is very peculiar with regard to who is
allowed "Internet access" (not everyone gets it).  With this being a HR
system, all employees need to get to it and I don't think "non-Internet"
employees could hit a box in the DMZ.  Our goal is to make the intranet site
available to employees both at work and at home.  Were you able to access
your model 400 from both work and home?  Does your company restrict Internet
access at work?

Yes, we could replicate our current internal UI to the 170 but we're afraid
it would be a support nightmare unless we could have the 170 as the initial
point of access for both internal and external users.

Thanks for your help,

Steve