On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 sublime78ska@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I have a customer that has cable internet access, a netgear cable
> router, and an as400.  Can the cable router be configured so that the
> as400 can be accessed with telnet remotely?  (This box is for
> development only.)  Has anyone done it?

Yes.  For standard telnet/TN5250 you need to connect to the router with
a web browser, go under port forwarding, and forward port 23 to the
AS/400's internal IP.

For SSL-telnet, forward port 992 as well.

I strongly recommend allowing _only_ SSL telnet, as the extra protection
of SSL makes a huge difference -- but then you have to set up the iSeries to
do SSL telnet which I've found to be a bit tricky.  It probably makes
sense to allow regular telnet until you've got SSL telnet working nicely.

To make Client Access (or CA Express, or iSeries Access) work you have to
forward some additional ports.  I haven't bothered with that, since I use
my own (open-source) TN5250 client which does everything I need it to
without requiring the added risk of opening additional ports.

(TN5250 is just 5250 protocol over a telnet stream, so requires no
additional setup)

> I tried this once before but instead of a cable router the customer had
> MS Proxy server and we couldn't get that to work.  We ultimately bought
> a firewall device.

I'm not familiar with MS Proxy, but I prefer to either route data or use
NAT.  I'm not a fan of proxy servers for most things -- though for a few
applications, they can add extra security.

> Thanks in advance for your help.  I hope to not waste too much time
> trying to get something to work that can't work. ;-)

Well, it works with my Netgear WGR614, I can't speak for other Netgear
routers...