James, is that a specified value or a *CALC'd value? I believe that *NOMAX means you have to have a program monitoring QSYSOPR message queue - don't know about if you specify a time. Do you have anything monitoring QSYSOPR?

Also, you might look at the LIC log - there are a number of APARs at various releases, and one showed stuff in that log. One, at V3R1, is called "SYSTEM HALT AFTER BRIEF POWER OUTAGE". It's old, but the LIC log showed odd behavior. This probably needs to go to IBM support, if it continues.

Another APAR said to disconnect the cable.

HTH

Vern

At 10:08 AM 1/6/2004 -0800, you wrote:
> Take a look at the 2 system values that start with QUPS* - let us know
> what  you have.

QUPSDLYTIM is 120. 2 minutes, long enough to ride out a quick outage, but
short enough to give it a fighting chance of powering down before the UPS
runtime runs out. (Besides, the system message specifically said that both
the on-battery and low-battery signals were active).

QUPSMSGQ is QSYSOPR.

While inspecting the QSYSOPR message queue today, I also discovered that
the internal battery had to cope with a 12-second power failure, early
this morning, that the UPS apparently couldn't handle. We also found a
Linux box (on the same UPS) was cold, apparently from the same 12-second
power outage. No corresponding messages in the development box that's
monitoring our other UPS.

--
JHHL