From: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Date: 01/01/04 07:45:06
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: Work product (was RE: Midrange Knowledge test)

Another consideration is how much of the code you're working with/developing
is copyrighted.  Copyright law is Federal and covers "derivative works" as
well.

The absence of a "work for hire" agreement means little if your employer
sells a package with copyrighted code.  So, if you're cloning an existing
report (we still have reports in the Brave New World, right?), stripping out
"file" I/O, and replacing it with SQL, don't take a copy of the changed
program because it's still copyrighted as a derivative work even if you
delete the copyright notice.

-reeve