We changed to password level 2 for mixed case passwords as part of a more
sturdy password policy with the potential to someday go to passwords beyond
ten characters.  The direction was set by auditors' requirements and
recommendations.  Some of these security audit steps are at the core of
Sarbanes-Oxley standards for the financial systems of publicly held
companies.  Many other companies are going through similar audits (or should
be) for the same reason.

Password level 2 is also invaluable if you'd like your AS/400 to participate
in a network with Windows 2000 and Unix servers, and Oracle databases.

Granted, we don't have the most sophisticated AS/400 implementation.  It's
largely 5250 with some Netserver, Domino, very limited Client Access, lots
of FTP, and a third party client report writer.  It's a fairly large system
(big 840, 1.5 TB) with lots of users though.  Going to password level 2 was
fairly straightforward.  Our off-hours test was, by some folks standards,
overkill.  If we had just turned it on with our Saturday IPL and inflicted
password level 2 on the users we would have had a quite few Help Desk calls
the first few weeks, and would have had the same scramble to fix the report
writer and update a few Client Access installations.

Even with our planning and oversights password level 2 is such a non-issue
less than a month later.  And it wasn't very hard to begin with.

I don't know whether customizing another sign-on screen is the tip of the
iceberg for you.  For me it's the tip of the ice cube.  With all
considerable due respect, password level 2 can be very easy to implement and
live with.  I think it's great that IBM has provided us the option of this
necessary evolution for the operating system.

If we rail against these types of changes we have to live with the irony of
VP's telling us we have to get rid our AS/400's because Windows servers have
better security than the 10 character case-indeterminate OS/400 password.

-Jim