midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>  10. RE: Midrange Knowledge test (Jeff Bull)
>
>The reason that employees usually leave soon after receiving training is
>that many employers fail to recognise/appreciate the new skills gained
>during the training where it counts most - the pay-packet.  They invest in
>training to make the employee a more effective member of staff, to be able
>to take on more work, or work of a higher grade, or more responsibility;
>IMHO this justifies a higher wage and if the employer is unwilling to
>provide this, they deserve to lose the employee - wasting their investment.

Though I fully understand the sentiment, I don't totally agree that training
should tie into pay rates. I (personally) view training as additional
compensation that's tax-free. Obviously, if it does result in higher work load,
more burdensome responsibilities, etc., then pay-rate should be adjusted
accordingly. But often it simply results in a different work product with the
same work load -- e.g., I'm doing more ILE than OPM or more Java than RPG or
more database than program coding. Same load level, different work.

What I really dislike about training is poor scheduling. Get sent for some
major training; then related projects are six months, a year or more down the
road, sometimes never started at all. What a waste. By the time the project
starts, it's 80% forgotten. Or worse, you realize the organization is not
actually going to go in that direction as long as current management remains.
In order to use any of the training, you have to seek out a different job.

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.

New! Unlimited Access from the Netscape Internet Service.
Beta test the new Netscape Internet Service for only $1.00 per month until
3/1/04.
Sign up today at http://isp.netscape.com/register

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.