We currently use FTP to transfer flat files from iSeries to Unix box.
The Unix box will be replaced by another iSeries.  Using the flat file
to transfer data between two application packages is no longer a
necessity since both systems will now operate on DB2 files.

Management questions the current reliability of FTP - they maintain that
data is getting lost between the two boxes (they have not been able, nor
even attempted, to prove to me that the problem with the loss of data is
in the file transfer as opposed to the programs that are either loading
or processing the flat files).  They have handed down the directive that
the new transfer methodology will be able to ensure and verify that 100%
of the data that was sent from box A was in fact received by box B; if
100% of the data sent was not received, then easily identify what was
lost and be able to recover from that loss of data (whether that be by
re-sending the entire file or only those records/fields that were
dropped during transmission).

Thus comes a grand scheme to place new auditing programs and files and
workbenches around a process to FTP the files.  However, FTP for
field/record based DB2 files randomly places garbage in certain fields.
So, we're back to using flat files again, which seems a bit ridiculous
for iSeries to iSeries transfers.

It seems to me there should be an easier way.  SNADS seems to hint at
offering the solution.  Once upon a time I used to do ICF programming -
but the skills are long gone from the memory banks.

So, the question:  is there anyone out there with relevant SNADS
experience that would be interested in having a discussion with me
regarding using SNADS to do the transfers of DB2 files across multiple
iSeries boxes?

No 3rd party solutions are to be considered.  I'm not interested in
discussing the merits of FTP; I am aware of the transfer speed and file
limitation of SNADS vs. FTP.  I would like to shoot for a SNADS solution
that requires minimal coding to be done since I do not believe that
there is any problem with our actual data transfers.  As the interface
programs are re-written from Unix to iSeries, I believe the data loss
issues will miraculously disappear.

Happy Holidays

Kind Regards,

Jodi Walker