Yes it is true that SQL keeps the record format and the file name the
same.  However, I am not a big fan of renaming it outside of the SQL
source.  Once again, requires a change management system be in place.
Unless you feel bold enough to delete the original SQL statement.

If you are an RPG shop you can always rename the record format in the
program.  And I think Hans Boldt from the RPG team might have conceded
that requiring the record format to be different from the file name may be
something that can be overcome in some future release, (don't take this as
a commitment).  Then, when that time comes, if you want them different
(read a file, write a record) you can then rename the format to appease
your sense of tradition.

"All creatures will make merry... under pain of death."
-Ming the Merciless (Flash Gordon)

"Richard Theis" <theis_richard@xxxxxxxxxx>
12/23/2003 03:18 AM
Please respond to

midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Fax to

Subject
Re: changing keys of a physical file

<snip>
I believe these are even usable in RPG for keyed access - VIEWs are not,
as

they are only encapsulated SQL SELECT statements and have no data, no true
path to the data until the SQL statement is run.
</snip>

Yes, IDXs are usable in RPG (the format name is the table name). VIEWs are
usable also (no keyed access, of course).  For TABLEs and VIEWs, in order
to use them in RPG, it's convenient to create them with the desired future
format name, and then to rename them with the definite object name.
As of constraints, neither the UNIQUE DDS keyword nor the CREATE UNIQUE
INDEX are adding primary or unique constraints.  The only way is to use
ADDPFCST or CREATE/ALTER TABLE.

HTH

BTW, I just cannot understand why to change a primary key : it should had
been determined thru the relational normalization process, has
dependencies
on referential integrity, and so on...

Bonne réception/Best regards
Richard THEIS