My client is using SeeBeyond EAI (Enterprise Application Integration) software
to move data between platforms, from a SQL server 2000 sales front end to an
iSeries with JDE for billing, then from the iSeries to an Oracle manufacturing
system on the back end.

We ran a stress test a couple of weeks ago and found some fairly severe
performance problems when inserting data into the iSeries database files.
SeeBeyond uses the CAE ODBC provider to connect to the iSeries, and it appears
that it is quite the dog, performance-wise.

Here is a sample of our results:

File   Time for                   Record
        insert (seconds)     Length (bytes)

A        4                                  707
B        .2                                   69
C        7                                1370
D        1                                  208

It appears that the average data transfer rate is around 200 bytes/second.

All told, it took around 30 minutes to load the data for ONE sales order into
the iSeries database files.  This is *not* good.

The QZDASOINIT jobs run in the QUSRWRK subsystem, which currently uses only the
*BASE memory pool.  I'm not sure that creating a private memory pool for this
subsystem will help any...I think that the bottleneck is the CAE ODBC driver.

Any ideas on improving the performance of this application?

TIA for your advice,
Steve Landess