I've had, (or at least I hope it was), certain night jobs update my last
sign on date.

Benjamin Franklin

Al Barsa <barsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
11/18/2003 02:17 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
RE: iSeries passwords

What you can do is to change the system value for QDSPSGNINF.  This also
can be changed at the user profile level.

What this does is it shows you the last date and time that your profile
was
signed on, the number of invalid sign on attempts, if any, and the days
until your password expires if that expiration is within 10 days.  It also
provides an F key to run the CHGPWD command.

If you were away on vacation last week, and come in on Monday morning, and
see that your last sign in was on Friday, you know you had a problem.

If you were captured with a fake sign-on screen, which captured your
password, and then ended that job, and made you think that you had keyed a
bad password, when you signed on and saw no invalid password attempts, you
know that you were duped!

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com

             rob@xxxxxxxxx
             Sent by:
             midrange-l-bounce                                          To

             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx            Midrange Systems Technical
                                       Discussion
                                       <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             11/18/2003 01:21                                           cc

             PM
                                                                   Subject

                                       RE: iSeries passwords
             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

Yes, the iSeries has a lot of potential Trojan Horses.  However, after IBM
has come up with all of the QPWD* system values, and if you still want to
do your own verification, what else could they have done?

Benjamin Franklin

"Andy Nolen-Parkhouse" <aparkhouse@xxxxxxxxxxx>
11/18/2003 11:42 AM
Please respond to

"'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: iSeries passwords

Rob,

I agree that you're probably right.  But this exit program is a
user-written
program which receives the old and new passwords as clear parameters and
could do what it wants with them, including writing them to a database.
While adding an exit point requires a little more sophistication to
implement than just changing a system value, it requires the same level of
authority (*ALLOBJ and *SECADM) as changing the QPWDVLDPGM system value.

What am I missing?

Andy