I've always thought the industrial design of the S/38 console was marvelous-- the keyboard and monitor sort of 'melted' into the top of the machine.

The only NOT marvelous part was the placement of the main power switch-- as you rested your right hand to the right of the keyboard, your fingertips just happened to be placed right on the power switch. If you didn't realize what it was, you'd poke at it with your finger, and....

We quickly found one of the phone company's magnetic cable-connector covers and placed it over the switch to keep errant fingers at bay!

We still have an AS/400 8" floppy drive, and a 'pizza oven' reel-to-reel tape drive. The tape drive is still usable, but there's currently no interface for the floppy drive.

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I loved that little screen and keyboard on the Sys/38 ! I also loved the
panel of lights that you could look up in HEX and determine what the system
was doing during a long IPL. The flashing lights gave you something to point
to when managment came by wanting to know what was going on.

Cyndi B.
Boise, ID