I have received some documentation on the scoreboard.  It receives an ASCII
string in the following protocol:

ASCII
Code

STX  (Start of text also know as Control B)
Address of display as set on the display
Data
ETX (End of text aka Control C)

Example: to set the display that has an address of '04' to '1234'

<STX>041234<ETX>

There is an ethernet card in the board that you assign an IP address and
each number on the board has a 2 position address.

You can telnet from a PC to it again sending the above string as
'control B' "04" "1234"'control C" total of 8 characters.

This sure sounds like it ought to be easy.  Does this make the printer
scenario even more realistic?

I should be receiving a demo board this week.  We have not purchased this
yet so my resources are limited.

I certainly appreciate everyone's help on this project.

Dee