Walden H. Leverich III wrote:

I submit to the argument that: most machines are "hacked" and "taken over"
not because the hacker knew the correct string of 7613 bytes to send to a
port to get Windows to run injected code, but rather because the
administrator didn't properly secure the machine in the first place.

This is true. In addition, the most famous cracker in the world used social engineering, not 3133t code, to enter systems.

Look at the majority of Windows security bugs, with few (very few)
exceptions, a Windows web server sitting behind a properly secured firewall
on a well configured network would be immune to attack.

I'm not sure this is true. Most of the troubles windows has had appear to stem from faults in system programming and an incorrect security design. Windows is low quality software. OS/400 on the other hand has a strong security design which makes it's flaws difficult to exploit.

As I think has been pointed out, the simple number of system fixes released for a given OS does not directly indicate the security of that OS. There are clearly several other factors, and I think that is the point that both Joe and Rob are trying to make. Perhaps the most important is experience, which likely for all of us shows that windows in fact is horrible and OS/400 does a great job. And we aren't the only ones with that poor experience with windows. Many articles available on-line point to persons and companies that have decided to minimize their Microsoft investments precisely because the security is so poor.

So let's not flame each other on claims that Microsoft software is on par with OS/400 in terms of security. Unless - someone really thinks it is?

James Rich

"As for security, being lectured by Microsoft is like receiving wise words on the subject of compassion from Stalin."
-- mormop on lwn.net