Booth:
If all things were equal, I think the conduit might be the best solution,
but the logistics of it are a problem right now. All the construction
related bids I got still involved us doing some of our own digging, running
conduit along the building, etc.  Along with voice and data we had planned
to also run coax for satellite TV, cable for an alarm/card access system and
some power (110v) circuits attached to our generator.  Except the voice and
data, the rest was nice to have and we have ways to work around all of them.

 We own 2 offices in an office condo complex.  Other owners are Not very
happy about our proposal to bust up concrete.  It would have been nice if
our 2nd unit was in the same building, but it is not.  We have outgrown our
space in 3 years, I had planned on longer.  The 2nd unit in the complex is
really a bandaid.  We had a contract to buy another free standing building,
but it fell thru after we could not get one of the tenants to move out.  I
was pretty inflexible about how far I am willing to "commute" to work.  I
now drive 3/4 of a mile.  Traffic in Atlanta is just like every other major
city sucks (sorry so rude).... So I limited my search for new space to
something I could buy (as opposed to lease) very close to my house.  So, now
I have disjointed space. (but my drive is less then 2 minutes)  We will live
with it.

I do like the IP phone solution because if we grow and need to move in 3-5
more years at least the hardware can go with us and be used again.  The
conduit solution will be in the ground and I don't see it being a
selling/leasing point to other potential users for our space.  "Of course if
is worth more than the unit next door, it has 9" of conduit between this
unit and the one across the street!"

Also, we got to thinking, if one of our customers came to us with this
problem, we would recommend a wireless data/voice solution.  Time to take
some of our own medicine.
cjg

Carl J. Galgano
EDI Consulting Services, Inc.
550 Kennesaw Avenue, Suite 800
Marietta, GA  30060
(770) 422-2995 - voice
(419) 730-8212 - fax
mailto:cgalgano@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.ediconsulting.com
AS400 EDI, Networking, E-Commerce and Communications Consulting and
Implementation
http://www.icecreamovernight.com
Premium Ice Cream Brands shipped Overnight

Visit our website to subscribe to our FREE AS/400 Timesharing Service