You can get entirely around the issues of programs with adopted QPGMR
authority vs. granting *USE authority to QPGMR by setting up an autostart
job entry in one of your subsystems.  I have a subsystem named ASYNC for
this kind of stuff, but you can just as easily use your batch subsystem or
probably even QSYSWRK.  It's better to use your own subsystems so such
things don't get wiped out during upgrades.

Define an autostart job entry with the job name and a job description name.
Create the job description using GAL as the user profile and specify a job
queue, and specify your program call (not submit) as the request data.  User
GAL needs to have authority to the job description.

As your subsystems start via QSTRUP the autostart job will automatically be
started.  I believe that the subsystems autostart jobs are started under the
authority of user QSYS regardless of whether QSTRUP is run under QPGMR.
QSYS should have the authority to invoke a job for user GAL.  The autostart
job entry insulates the job and user from QPGMR.

I use this technique to start daemon jobs in subsystem ASYNC and to launch
one-shot system startup jobs into QBATCH.

-Jim

James P. Damato
Manager - Technical Administration
Dollar General Corporation