From: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Date: Monday, November 03, 2003 4:55:05 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO BRING NEW CUSTOMERS TO THE ISERIES

HI John,

Snip.....

> I'll agree that iSeries could use some branding - but TV
>adds are a far to scattered audience to be cost effective.
>
>I just watched a weekend's worth of Dell commercials - all
>promoting low price PC's - as low as $499. This is mass
>marketing that is appropriate to the audience. Advertising
>iSeries at its price point to a TNT audience would be wasted
>effort. IMHO

End Snip.....

You may be right and the TV audience may not be there but why then does IBM
bother to advertise other high-end servers on TV? I think it is because CIO
s and managers see
those TV ad's and IBM knows this. If I were a I.S. manager/CIO I might
assume that because
something is not being promoted it must be dated.

Just a thought.

Vance

John Earl <john.earl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Joe,

> John, I used to think much the same way you do, but lately
> I've been
> living more in the non-IBM world and it's become clear
> that LOTS of
> technical purchasing decisions are being made without a
> lot of technical
> input. Many times the iSeries doesn't make the first cut
> because nobody
> knows what one is. The fact that iSeries has ZERO name
> recognition
> actually puts it in an immediate catchup position against
> Dell, fer goshsakes.

I'll agree that iSeries could use some branding - but TV
adds are a far to scattered audience to be cost effective.

I just watched a weekend's worth of Dell commercials - all
promoting low price PC's - as low as $499. This is mass
marketing that is appropriate to the audience. Advertising
iSeries at its price point to a TNT audience would be wasted
effort. IMHO

jte