midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>   9. Re: Quick-and-dirty *MSGW? (jamesl@xxxxxxxxxxx)
>
>Peter Vidal suggested:
>> START:      PGM
>>             CHKOBJ     OBJ(QSYS/XXXXXXXXXX) OBJTYPE(*USRSPC)
>> END:        ENDPGM
>
>Thanks.
>
>As to why, well, I'm working on a program that scans through all active
>jobs with a particular jobname, and needs to be able to recognize which
>ones are in *MSGW state (which would indicate that they're stuck in an
>error condition).

James:

In that case, this little CL will help you. It produces the three fundamental
causes of MSGW status in succession. You'll want to distinguish between the
three:

   DCL        VAR(&REPLY) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(80)

   RCVMSG     MSGQ(MYLIB/MSGW) WAIT(300)

   SNDUSRMSG  MSG('Enter reply') MSGTYPE(*INQ) +
                TOMSGQ(MYLIB/MSGW) MSGRPY(&REPLY)

   SNDMSG     MSG('Enter reply') TOMSGQ(MYLIB/MSGW) +
                MSGTYPE(*INQ)

Note that the last SNDMSG produces a "Waiting on response from QSYSOPR" error
condition. The RCVMSG will wait 5 mins or until you send a message to
MYLIB/MSGW. The SNDUSRMSG will wait on a reply from MYLIB/MSGW. Both the
SNDUSRMSG and the SNDMSG waits can be handled via the <option 7=Display
message> function such as from WRKSBMJOB.

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.