Check the alias(5 to display) to verify AS-STS in Caps.  The default for
alias on ADDSRVTBLE is *NONE.  I don't believe that the host table names are
case sensitive.

I feel your pain on having to restart TCP/IP for this, it's a poor
implementation.  I was fortunate that I only had to do this once on a system
in production at the time.  (Twice on non-prod systems, never figured out
why IBM didn't make this entry show up automagically....)  If I was in your
shoes I would delete the current entry, then ADDSRVTBLE SERVICE('as-sts')
PORT(3000) PROTOCOL('tcp') TEXT('Service Tools Server') ALIAS('AS-STS') and
wait until your next IPL to use the function.  (BTW, also verify that no
other service is using port 3000.)

I'm not exactly sure what the function of the service table is.  You can
toggle between names and ports with NETSTAT *CNN F14.  The servers that
start when TCP/IP starts are listed in the QATOCSTART file.  (The service
table is QATOCPS)   I would guess that restarting one specific server(maybe
*MGTC?) would catch this but all documentation says to restart TCP/IP.

http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/slkbase.nsf/3cdf5d853ca698198625680b00020369/50
9cccf55c5595f786256c5d00668732?OpenDocument&Highlight=2,as-sts

Sorry I can't be more helpful, good luck!

Scott Ingvaldson
AS/400 System Administrator
GuideOne Insurance Group

"Well, Art is Art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water.  And
east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like
applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does.  Now you tell
me what you know."
--Groucho Marx