Why not this simple scenario.

User 1 opens a record and locks it as the programme has defined it as UPDATE.
User 2 tries to open the same record, BUT cannot access it. Instead he will get
the message (as the QSYSOPR at the same time).

Will end a lot of frustration, I think.

Your solution may cause problems, as the first user wants to modify the data,
gets a temporarily lock, but at the update he has lost the lock due to the
time-out. What will happen next?

Regards,
Carel Teijgeler.