Bob,

You do realize that when you bring a spooled file down to the PC, it is a
replica of what will be printed. You get a line in the text file for each
spooled line. Headers, footers, spacing, etc. are all part of the text file.
The data is not "split" by any AS/400 or OpsNav function. If your intent is
to "extract data" from the spooled file, you would need to "import" the file
(say using Excel) and define columns as necessary.

If you need to "extract data", converting each line's data into Excel cells
for instance, you need to use a tool like Monarch.

I've been plagued with requests like "I have this printout, how do I get it
as Excel data?" You don't without manual intervention. A problem with our
ERP system is it generates "folded" spool file records (like folded subfile
records), which are difficult if not impossible to extract from spooled data
to Excel.  For instance, a general ledger transaction report may have 3
lines of data for each "entry". However, the users want each "entry" as a
single row of Excel data.

I've been thinking about writing a spooled file template program that would
allow users to define a template for extracting "complex" spooled file data
into a downloadable file. Such a template would need to account for header
information, multiple spooled lines per data record, data transforms (where
the negative sign is on the "wrong side" for Excel to handle), etc. Output
options might be to a AS/400 outfile, or direct CSV file on the IFS. Maybe
in my copious free time....

I'm not sure what your intent is, but just wanted to warn you that if you're
trying to "process" the spooled file data on a PC, simply automating the
transfer will not accomplish your goal.

--
Loyd Goodbar
Programmer/analyst