While I _DO_ believe you could secure a single iSeries partition
appropriately for HIPAA requirements, I think it's _much_ easier not to.

Let's face it, the big fear of HIPAA is an audit. If some
not-so-technical[1] federal agent comes in an audits your system would you
rather say:

"Here is our system. We run production and development on the same machine.
Our developers have access to the same machine as our production users.
Sure, we've properly implemented object-level-security and auditing. What?
You don't know what object-level-security is? Let me explain..."

I'll promise that all he heard was "our developers have access to the same
machine"

Or would you like to say:

"We have two machines, one for development and one for production. Our
developers do not have any access what so ever to production. We've also
implemented object-level-security and auditing as additional precautions."

I'll promise that all he heard was "our developers do not have access"

-Walden

[1] Be careful, the no-so-technical guy has access to some _very_ technical
people if he smells blood.

Walden H Leverich III
President
Tech Software