Mystery solved!  Objects in QTEMP are already deleted when the ended job's
job log is created.  I checked the job logs from yesterday interactive
jobs where I tested it, and sure enough, it had the same "msgf doesn't
exist" message as the batch jobs showed.

Ken's solution of DSPJOBLOG OUTPUT(*PRINT) did the trick!

Thanks guys!

GA