Rob -

To see the hex (ASCII) codes on the PC:

- Save the file somewhere.
- Start a command prompt.
- Change to the directory where the file is.
- Enter
  debug filename.txt
- You'll get a "-" prompt.
- Enter
  (for Dump)
- The 1st 128 bytes of the file will be displayed.  Note on the left
side the indicator xxxx:0100 through xxxx:0170; that's the offset into
the file.  The middle portion of the dump is the hex/ASCII codes for the
characters.  The right side contains the ASCII characters themselves.
- Enter
  d180
  to do a dump starting at position xxxx:0180
- etc.
- When done, enter
  (to Quit)

Amazingly, Debug is still available on Windows XP.  I just tried it.

But if you want a better way of looking at hex/ASCII or you actually
want to edit it, go grab UltraEdit (http://www.ultraedit.com) or some
other better-than-notepad editor.