At 11:32 AM 10/20/03, you wrote:
"Care to share?"  Sure, why not, but no laughing, ok?  I would like to
develop a TALK utility.   Reaching another user for a casual question is not
graceful.  Obviously the phone or Instant Messenger will always be a better
method, but sometimes you just need to ask a quick question and SNDBRKMSG is
not very graceful.

Ahh, what you need then is a break message handling program, not the funky program that reads/writes screens to more than one machine. If specified, this program runs whenever a message comes in. You can decide how to format it, what to do with it and so on. What is real nice is that you can prompt a response from the user, and TALK it back to the sender.

CHGMSGQ MSGQ(FOO)
        PGM(MYLIB/MYPGM)

Take a look at the help on the PGM prompt and it will tell you what parms get passed in.

It's been a long while, but my old one prefaced each message with a constant, like 'TALK', and then handled those, but just did a DSPMSG on any others.