Richard, if you are seeing letters with spaces between, that's usually an indication for me that the file is in a UNICODE code page but is being displayed in something else. I don't know whether you can edit these directly in EDTF. But you could take option 8 on the file and see what it is. If you've taken option 2 to edit, try F15 and change the CCSID. I forget the UNICODE CCSID.

HTH

Vern