Sorry to say that it has been so long I don't remember how we fixed the problem.
I searched the VARPG newsgroup for "CCSID 65535" and came up with this entry:
-----
WDSC V5.0 will do the conversion. This is taken from the README:
"? Client conversion support for iSeries database fields with CCSID 65535
Until now, VARPG programs have not been able to work with iSeries database
fields specified with CCSID 65535, which designates that no conversion be
done when accessing the field data. The client workstation operating in ANSI
could not understand the received EBCDIC data.

A new File specification keyword CVTHEX has been added for
externally-described remote disk files. When specified, any character fields
with a CCSID of 65535 in the file will be converted to the workstation CCSID
for use in the application. (The client-side conversion process uses the
server sign-on job CCSID in place of the field's 65535 CCSID to perform the
conversion.)  "
-----
So if you can upgrade to the latest version of VARPG/WDSc, you can get around
the problem using the new File spec keyword.

Further searching came up with using the CHGPF command.  Press F9 to get all the
parms. CCSID is the last one.

-- Scott J.