Based on the file below,  many  zip codes cross state lines
10004 - NY and NJ
37642 - TN and VA
38041 - AR and TN
38063 - AR and TN
38079 - KY and TN
38852 - AL and MS
42223 - KY and TN
51630 - IA and MO
51640 - IA and MO
52626 - IA and MO
52761 - IA and IL
55954 - IA and MN
56027 - IA and MN
56129 - IA and MN
56219 - IA and SD
57638 - SD and ND
59221 - MT and ND
65733 - AR and MO

i stopped looking at this point (this file fits easily into excel, or to
download
to iSeries. Scan the word "part" their term for part 1 state, part another.

I've been in that situation where flat files are hard to update.
I would suggest a called program you can plug into various programs.
Check zip code file, and only if 2 states involved, either prompt user
to specify, or read address lines from bottom up, right to left, to find
state.
May still need to prompt user. Consider adding a new external file for
something like order# (key) and state code (in your case), rather than
change
flat file and a thousand programs.  Later, when doing major changes,
reintegrate state code back into order file. Sometimes database
design and corporate reality don't mix.

jim