James,

I do not dispute what you say about Linux, but unfortunately my experience
has not been quite as good.

I setup a dedicated Linux server running RH 8 on an xSeries server.  The
sole purpose of this system is to host a CVS repository and it really isn't
running anything else other than the normal services that install by
default (which admittedly is a lot).  However, nothing is actually using
those services.  I have applied the patches that the RedHat Up2Date service
says, including those for CVS.

Anyway, long story short, on a regular basis when updating the repository
from an Eclipse Workstation the server will just reboot.

I do not have the skills/experience to pinpoint the problem so I just live
with it.  I have tried different techniques such as using pserver vs.
extssh.  Both cause the same problem, although lately it has been pretty
stable.

I am sure the problem is solvable if I had the skills to solve it, and no
one is saying that a business should run on Linux without being sure that
the IT people have the adequate skills.  So I am not indicting Linux.  My
main point was that I was fairly surprised by this given that CVS is a
seemingly stable and widely used app, and this was a pretty clean setup on
solid hardware.

I have used Linux on the desktop a bit, and other than the occasional
problem with specific apps, I have not had similar problems.

Well, that's all.

Mark